The Politics professor told Iain Dale at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival the Prime Minister has “run out of time” to secure a Brexit deal before the October 31 deadline, increasing the chances of a no deal Brexit scenario even further. Sir John argued that even if Boris Johnson miraculously won the support of the Commons for Theresa May’s deal, there would not be enough time to ratify the agreement by the end of October.
He told Iain Dale’s All Talk at The Gilded Balloon: “It is now too late for us to leave the European Union on October 31 with any kind of deal.”
He continued: “There isn’t time.
“Even if the Government were wanting to put Theresa May’s deal through, we’ve run out of time.”
The Prime Minister has pledged to deliver Brexit by the end of October this year with or without a deal.
The EU has refused to budge on Mr Johnson’s demands of changes to the backstop mechanism within the withdrawal agreement.
Some pro-EU MPs have warned the Prime Minister they will do all they can to block Britain’s departure if the UK is on track to leave with no deal.
Rebel MPs have hinted under the Fixed-Term Parliaments Act if the Government lost a vote of confidence MPs could seek to put a new Government of national unity in its place – before going to the EU to ask for a further Brexit extension.
Pro-EU Tory MP Dominic Grieve threatened there are “a number of things which the House of Commons can do, including bringing down the Government via a vote of no-confidence and setting up a new government in its place”.
Mr Grieve later warned the Queen could step in to “sack” Mr Johnson if he refused to quit after losing a potential vote of no-confidence.
He told Channel 4 News on Tuesday evening: “The idea that he’ll just sit back and say ‘I won’t co-operate, I won’t do anything and I’m not going to resign’ is fanciful.
- Jacob Rees-Mogg issues damning verdict on how history will remember ‘damaged’ John Bercow
- VIDEO – MERKEL FEARS BRITAIN BECOMING MAJOR COMPETITOR POST BREXIT
- SHOCKING – These British politicians conspiring with foreign leaders against the British people should never be allowed to stand in UK elections again.
- VIDEO – NIGEL FARAGE – WHAT DOES THE ENEMY FEAR?
- VIDEO – THE DEATH OF THE EU – DOUGLAS MURRY
- Europhiles claimed adding 4 days on to a parliamentary recess was a sign of a dictatorship, what do they think of a European government jailing a parliamentary speaker for holding a debate? #StandUpForCatalonia
“He would have to resign and if he didn’t resign and there was an alternative Government presented which had the support of the House of Commons, in an extreme case the Queen would have to sack him.”
The former Attorney General also attacked the Prime Minister’s special adviser, hitting out at Dominic Cumming’s “characteristic arrogance with ignorance”. READ FULL STORY BELOW
The Politics professor told Iain Dale at the Iain Dale: All Talk at The Gilded Balloon that the Prime Minister has “run out of time” to secure a Brexit deal before the October 31 deadline, increasing the chances of a no deal Brexit scenario even further.